Monday, March 16, 2009

AAArrrrggghhhh!!!

So, I was going to start this post out as a rant about our Sociopath-in-Chief. And how sociopaths, who by definition have no conscience, will change their tune at will.

For which, I would present exhibit 2,547,329:

Administration is open to taxing health benefits

Because, as even this article mentions, it's a direct flip-flop from what Obama espoused on the campaign trail. Remember: a sociopath will say whatever it takes to make you do what they want.

All that is the easy part. So consider it ranted.

So in reading the whole article, I'm given another reason why I guess I'm not a republican...
The administration’s receptivity to the idea is owed partly to the advocacy of Mr. Baucus, whose committee has jurisdiction over tax policy and health programs, and to support from Republicans. (emphasis, disgustedly, mine)
and:
Those who want to tax benefits in whole or in part make two main arguments. They say the tax exclusion is a generous subsidy that insulates employees from the true costs of health care, leading them to demand more of it and driving up overall costs. Critics also say the policy is unfair because it favors higher-income people. “It’s too regressive,” Mr. Baucus said. “It just skews the system.”
Generous subsidy? It's PART OF MY COMPENSATION!! Every year, my employer sends a booklet out to -each- employee (all 35,000 of us) outlining just exactly how we're compensated. My healthcare insurance is listed with an exact dollar amount showing me just why I'm not getting paid more cash per hour in wages then I am. For many people (based on anecdotes from my HR people) the -benefits- are often a bigger motivator than the hourly wage. I think we're all aware that our health care plan is valuable and costly.
And again, since when is -not- being taxed, a SUBSIDY?!! -not- being taxed, is the government stealing less of MY MONEY. And on those rare occasions I do take advantage of my HARD EARNED health care benefit, I still have to pay a co-pay. And/or a deductible. And if I need a prescription, it's a generic or my copay is higher. Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm not) but charging more if you don't choose the generic, and having to pay co-pays/deductibles -are- ways to encourage the managing of costs.

Here's another case of where people hear what they want to hear. You've been thinking the government is always pointing the finger at someone other than you. So you're just fine with the government 'sticking it to' whoever it is they're talking about.
Well I don't know if you noticed or not, but any of you out there who have an employer provided health plan? -You- just became "higher income people." Why, that's only one step away from... well, that's practically "THE RICH". All you greedy, employer provided health-plan having fiends! YOU'RE WHAT'S WRONG WITH AMERICA!!!
Yeah, government, STICK IT TO ME! Er. THEM!!

...And here's the sad part (and where schadenfreude exacts a karmic 'comes-around' cost). If you read the article, you'll find that it's going to be democrats and (spit) unions who are going to be fighting to keep employer paid healthcare tax exempt. Ghaaahhhh.

No comments:

 
Add to Technorati Favorites